Facebook Places has just been made available for BlackBerry v1.9. Users of the BlackBerry have been patiently waiting for this new feature that provides location based functionality to most of the top social networks around the world. Since Facebook Places was made available to Android customers about a week ago. BlackBerry users were checking every day to see when this would hit their phones. It’s now here and BlackBerry users can pick this up in the BlackBerry App World and current users can get this as an update.
Facebook Places gives you the ability to attach your GPS or A/GPS location to a map. By doing so you can let your friends know what you are doing and where you are currently doing it from. This is like allowing everyone to turn into “Big Brother”. It’s amazing how we always hear of complaints about privacy but I guess when it comes to new gadgets and apps for our phones. Privacy can take a back seat. I digress!
- Check in to Facebook Places within a 1.25 mile (2-kilometer) radius of your location
- Select a Place from the available Nearby Places or add a Place if your location isn’t already in the database
- Add comments and tag friends upon checkin
- View the Places your friends have checked in
- View friends that are at your location
- Checkins show up in the news feed
- Integrates with GPS and BB Maps
With the new Facebook Places feature, this allows Facebook to come closer to it’s goal of being much more than a social network on your smart phone. They want to be the leading provider of giving it’s customers the ability to consume and share their information. This puts them in the same game with Google and Bing. This should make out for a good fight in the coming years.